The Adventures of Marianne

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Angkor What?!

After 16 hours on the train and a godawful minibus on what I think is the worst road I have ever travelled on, Kayella and I arrived in Siem Reap last night.

Really, the trip was miserable - hot, sticky, sweaty, bumpy, unsafe, long, slow, uncomfortable, you name it. But we drove through Cambodian countryside which is completely different from anything I've ever seen, with villages taken from a National Geographic magazine. Skinny cows, geese and chickens, and landmine warning signs all over. Pretty scary - apparently there are millions of landmines all over Cambodia, and you can really tell just based on the number of amputees here.

We checked into a great guesthouse though, and while I admit I do miss Thailand's prices and friendlier people (it seems as if everyone's out to rip you off and whine at you about buying cold drinks here), the temples of Angkor Wat are spectacular. We got up at 5 am this morning to watch the sunrise and it was pretty cool, despite my hate for early mornings.

Had dinner at a crocodile farm tonight, and now we're off to buy some cheap wine and get pissed on the terrace of the guesthouse...

1 Comments:

  • I was checking out a blog search engine, typed in "Thailand" and your blog was top of the list. I didn't have time to read all but the bits I did were fun. If you haven't already found it, www.talesofasia.com is the best source of Cambodia info, especially transportation to anywhere. If you find you do not want to spend a lot of time in Phnom Phen, check out Kompot on the coast, a pre WW2, colonial French resort, then ghost town; not yet spoiled.

    By Blogger dddave, at 2:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home