The Adventures of Marianne

Friday, April 08, 2005

Forget Heroin

Internet is the drug of the 21st century. Not even Diet Coke is this addicting.

Now, the situation in Leedon 2 is that we don't exactly buy our own wireless internet. Since we have so many neighbours with unsecured wireless networks, we choose to see that as an invitation to share. Tonight, however, Dan and I were horrified to learn that for reasons unbeknownst to us, it was impossible to access the internet from the apartment. So, here I am in the hallway of the 11th floor, trying desperately to download yesterday's episode of the OC. This show, by the way, is pretty much as addicting as the internet.

This brings me to an official disclosure of my addictions - most of which aren't that well hidden in the first place, I suppose.

In order of intensity:
1. The internet - As I already mentioned, I am sitting on the floor outside the 11th floor elevator to get a hit. If that isn't addiction, I don't know what is. Checking email/blog/flickr/messages comes under this same category. Can you be classified as compulsive if you check your email 15 times a day?
2. Diet Coke/Coke light - I am the dream consumer of the Coca-Cola Corporation, ingesting far too much nutrasweet than what is good for me. When I read the newspapers regarding studies on sweeteners, they always say that these products are hardly harmful in small amounts. I then think of the copious amounts I go through (especially during exams and whatnot) and foresee myself being one of the poor victims you'll see on television, with tubes coming out of the head.
3. Chocolate - Need I say more? Nothing hits the spot like a Troika/Melkesjokolade/Kit Kat in times of trouble.
4. The OC - Undoubtedly the most ingenious timestealers on television. Pretty people, clever banter, and the most unlikely (but oh so scandalous) plotlines possible. I used to be ashamed, but I don't even bother anymore.

At least I can justify the vices to myself by the fact that I'm not on crack? There's an upside to everything.

4 Comments:

  • its freaky.. but im addicted the exact same four things.
    1. i DO check email 15 times a day.. gmail hotmail yahoo AND school
    2. me and diet coke have a pact - we're seeing which one of us consumes all of the other first
    3. chocolates are to me what hansel was to gretel
    4. the oc - ah... i once watched the entire season 1 in one go... on a long flight. and i love seth so much it hurts.

    there.. u shud be happy for some time now.. long comment :P

    By Anonymous kriti, at 6:41 am  

  • ok Marianne I think I win this war. I've watched the whole Sex and the City collection twice since I've been here, along with all 4 seasons of Scrubs in the last week alone. That's 30 hours of Scrubs in one week. MORE THAN A DAY. I check my email probably every 5 minutes...no joke. I know I'm a dork but at least I'm off caffeine...

    By Blogger Kara, at 4:16 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Kara, at 4:16 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Kara, at 4:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home