The Adventures of Marianne

Monday, April 04, 2005

Thai Randomness

At the first bar we went to in Phuket, the ratio of young, pretty thai girls to old sleazebags was quite astounding. When I saw the menu, however, I was even more astounded: "STAFF DRINKS: Our waitresses like to party. Buy us a drink for 120 baht". Oh the sketchiness.

Above that same bar, there was a "girls girls girls" place that invited us to take a look for free (seriously, do they get a lot of couples there?)... I refused, but laughed out loud when I saw the sign: "We have 150 beautiful girl and 2 ugly ones". Long live honesty, I suppose.

Apparently this is nothing in comparison to Bangkok and Pattaya, however. The guys I travelled with to Chiang Mai and Koh Phangan went back to Bangkok afterwards and told stories of "pussyshows" where girls would send banana projectiles, ping pong balls and god knows what else. I have to admit that I'm not really that upset that I missed out.

The day me and Andreas left Phi Phi, we decided to go to one of the completely secluded beaches across from where we were staying. We had a longtail boat take us out there, set up a small parasoll and relaxed in the quiet sunshine. Out own private beach! Or so we thought, anyways. Before 20 minutes had passed, a speedboat approaches and starts throwing small yellow things onto the beach. I am filled with a sense of deja vu, and all of a sudden, about 35 monkeys come out of nowhere. I then realize that our "secluded, relaxing beach" is indeed Monkey Beach, the destination of countless speedboat tours. I took one of those tours over the winter holiday, and I remember the words of the tour guide clearly: "we won't get off here, because the monkeys bite and can be quite aggressive". Needless to say I was feeling quite nervous as I was chased out in the water by angry monkeys accompanied by the laughter of random tourists on the speedboat. I got some pictures of a monkey holding my book as if reading it, but as soon as we chased them away from our stuff with a stick and lots of patience, I hauled ass to the other side of the beach where the monkeys luckily left us alone for the most part.

1 Comments:

  • It seems holiday destinations DO get better as we age! I don't remember any of that from when we went...maybe it was because I was about five years old...
    Sounds like a good time!

    By Anonymous Lloyd, at 11:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home