The Adventures of Marianne

Monday, May 23, 2005

Head above the clouds

I'm EXHAUSTED.

Mount Kinabalu was perhaps the very best ending to my travels in Asia - it was amazing. My knees and legs disagree - I have reverted to a crawl/waddle for the time being due to their state, but as long as they don't get any worse by tomorrow it was definitely worth it.

The course of events was:
22.05.2005
09.00 - started climb from Mt Kinabalu National Park HQ, 1600 m
14.30 - reached Laban Rata Rest House and realized that they had overbooked me and had to come to terms with sleeping on a mattress on the floor of the unheated lobby/restaurant.
21.00 - went to sleep (exhausted much?!) among Asians pointing and laughing at the fact that I was sleeping in their eating quarters. Embarrassing photos being taken by annoying Koreans.
23.05.2005
02.00 - woke up, got dressed for summit.
05.30 - reached summit in time for sunrise - 4095 meters above water, baby!
07.30 - Back at Laban Rata for "breakfast"
08.30 - Trek down to HQ
12.30 - DONE!

Ok, so that was probably not interesting for anyone other than me, I'm more begging for sympathy due to the fact that my continued schedule is as follows:

(still 23.05.2005)
21.05 - Fly from Kota Kinabalu to Johor Bahru
23.30 - Arrive JB and get to the Singapore border, get a cab to Claudine's to pick up my stuff, then head to Changi Airport for flight to Bahrain at
(24.05.2005)
05.25 - see above
12.45 - (Local Bahraini time) catch plane to London
17.45 - (Local London time) arrive in London
19.40 - Bus to Bath
21.40 - Arrive Bath

In other words, I am going to be arriving in Bath the day after tomorrow Malaysian time with no access to proper sleep, despite having been up since 2 am this morning. I predict a disaster. [KNOCK ON WOOD!!]

2 Comments:

  • Sounds good! I am sure that your exhaustment is a pleasure afterwards! Just posted some pics of my own Kinabalu punishment at http://www.meronen.net/

    By Anonymous Juha, at 9:02 am  

  • Well, its a week later now, and my legs and knees are finally operational again! Thanks for the link to the pictures, I hope it's ok that I link to your pics in the title of the post.

    By Blogger Marianne, at 1:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home