The Adventures of Marianne

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

An open letter to Cambodia

Dear Cambodia,

No, I do not want a tuk-tuk or a moto. If I wanted a ride somewhere, I would ask one of the 20-something people around at any time. This goes especially to you, tuk-tuk driver #5. When I say, “No, thanks” to tuk-tuk driver #1-4, chances are I still don’t need a ride 2.5 seconds after I refused them.

If I don’t want a tuk-tuk, 99 times out of a hundred, I don’t want a guidebook/cold driiiink/postcard or whiny flute either. Please refrain from trapping me in a circle of souvenirs. IF I WANTED THEM, I WOULD APPROACH YOU.

YES, I know I’m sweating. It’s HOT! Just because you’re acclimatized to the 42 degree weather does not give you the right to point, laugh and loudly ridicule.

Please stop staring at my chest. That means you, dirty 12-year old boy and you, dirty, dirty moto driver. Or at least, try to be a bit discreet instead of staring, pointing and “accidentally” touching.

Yours Sincerely,
Marianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home