The Adventures of Marianne

Saturday, December 04, 2004

If i had a million dollars

It really is too bad that I'm currently about, well let's see, $999,998.44 away from the million. Yes, that's right, my account has the extravagant balance of $1.66.
Which is the equivalent of:
  • one soft drink from a vending machine (if i muster up the extra 9 c - which I'm sure I could locate on the floor somewhere)
  • one international stamp (to mail a "send more money" card to sympathetic family)
  • approximately 150 g of bulk candy
  • a loaf of cheap bread
  • 1 load of laundry

or

  • the bank fees required to actually withdraw this money.

In other words: i really only have 16 c cash left over - not enough for bread, stamps or soda. Maybe a piece of bulk candy if I'm lucky.

Seriously though, I miss those days when being broke actually meant not being able to afford the jeans for $200, so getting a shirt instead. Now broke means: no money in any account, owe one person $85.50, maxed out credit card and 2 bills have yet been paid. Quarters are officially great change, and locating a loonie is like striking oil. I wish I had the money matters sense to not throw away my money at a rate that leaves me like this at the end of the semester. What am I doing?? How can I be in Commerce, and still lack the sense to actually budget (well, follow the budget).

I think I'll scavenge couches for an additional $1.84 and buy a lottery ticket.

Today is going pretty slowly though - despite having expertly copied and pasted the questions of my take-home exam into, I can't seem to get around to actually getting anything written. Quelle surprise.

But it is officially only 19 days until I am back in the homeland, where reindeer dinner and Christmassy goodness awaits. Which brings me to my next question: How the hell am I going to get Christmas gifts with cash flow skimpier than Pamela Anderson's favorite skirt? Methinks the family will be getting some "charming" cups cleverly made from toilet rolls. I'm hoping I have not passed the point where anything home-made is "cute" and "dear". Otherwise, I was just informed that this year I will be photoshopped into the Christmas card picture my family sends out - ah, the sense of belonging technology brings.

Anyways, it's time for me to get back to not writing my exam - the only thing keeping me through exams right now, is the fact that I won't be taking another one at Queen's for a year after I'm done.

Score.

4 Comments:

  • Jeans for $200?! I'm going to guess that they're Canadian dollars, judging by the references to Alanis Morrisette and Barenaked Ladies you've already made!

    By Blogger Tom, at 2:49 am  

  • It is indeed Canadian dollars - but Norwegian prices ($200 is the going price of good jeans there).

    If there's anything I've learned it's that everything except healthcare is more expensive in Norway.

    By Blogger Marianne, at 3:57 am  

  • I think Thomas has an exaggerated idea of the U$A -- $Can. exchange rate (I just checked at http://www.discount-currency-exchange.com and found that it's $0.81 : $1, or $1 : $1.22, depending). Even so, I have never paid U$A160.00 for jeans.

    By Blogger john_m_burt, at 4:52 pm  

  • Hehe, regardless of exchange rates or price level: my point was that at one point being "broke" was not being able to afford an expensive piece of clothing (SUCH AS a $200 cdn pair of jeans).

    By Blogger Marianne, at 10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home